Saturday, November 22, 2008

Sympathy Swap


I got back into swapping over at the Shack. Since it's always difficult for me to come up with sympathy cards I joined a Sympathy card swap to challenge myself and to get some ideas from the cards I get back.


Boy did I struggle with this one. I never know if flowers are too cheery, or the colors I pick not somber enough. I finally just sat down and forced myself to start. I was pretty happy with what I came up with, BUT I don't know if they fit for a sympathy card. Here is what I came up with: (If the layout looks familiar, that's because it is. After I made these I used this layout to create my Riley card last Friday.)


To make this card I started with my image. I stamped it on plain white card stock using black ink. I colored it with my Prismacolor pencils and used a colorless blender pencil to shade - I have only tried this a couple times before and was very happy with the outcome. Then I used my Marvy Uchida Giga scallop oval punch to cut out the image. I then used red ink to ink the edges. Next I cut two small slits at the bottom of the flowers and threaded black ribbon through and tied it in a knot. Next I cut a piece of red card stock to 2 1/2" x 5 3/8". Next I used my Martha Stewart Lattice border punch on both of the longer sides. Then I cut a puce of black card stock to 4 1/8" x 5 3/8". I then glued my red strip to the lower portion of the black card stock. I then used my Stamp-a-ma-jig to stamp my sentiment along the red strip. Next I used my border punch again to punch both of the upper corners of the black card stock. Then I added 3 red brads above the red strip of card stock. I then glued that to my red A2 size card base. Finally I added my image to the left portion of the card.

Supplies:
  • Stamps - image by Inky Antics; sentiment by All Night Media
  • Card stock by DCWV (Die Cuts With a View)
  • Inks - black VersaFine; red Colorbox Cat's Eye ink
  • Embellishments - brads by JoAnn Craft Essentials; ribbon by Offray; punches - Martha Stewart Lattice Border punch; Marvy Uchida Giga Scallop Oval punch
  • Miscellaneous - Prismacolor pencils and colorless blender pencil
So does it fit the occasion? I really liked my coloring and layout, but I am not sure how I feel about it as a sympathy card. I would really like some feedback on what you think, or if you have any sympathy cards to share.

Happy Crafting,
Kimmy

3 comments:

Forgetfulone said...

That is simply beautiful.

Anonymous said...

My message didn't show up from this morning, so here I am again to say how much I LOVE this card!! The colouring and colour of cardstock is amazing!

ChrissyM said...

Gorgeous card. I think this is excellent for a sympathy card. I always struggle with sympathy cards. The colors, the image, coloring of the image, the design overall is perfect for a sympathy card. I think it's a prefect fit!!