Thursday, January 15, 2009

With Sympathy...

Well, I must be a glutton for punishment. After struggling with one Sympathy card swap I joined another. Of course I had the same trouble coming up with a design as I did the first time. My friend Kathy and I had taken a class at a local stamping store and I tried to get some inspiration from the different samples there. Then I came home and looked through many many many galleries trying to get ideas of what I wanted to do. This is what I came up with :

I knew I wanted to use vellum, and I really have been wanting to try the technique where you use 2 different embossing folders on one sheet. So I decided to go for it. (I will post a tutorial on how I did this another day). I didn't think to look for a tutorial or anything I just jumped right in. I learned quite a few things while attempting this, and used up a bunch of my scraps.

Here is a different angle so you can see the embossing a little better:

I guess I'll explain how I made this card... I grabbed a beige card stock and ran the lower 2/3 of it through my Cuttlebug using the Birds and Swirls embossing folder. Then I ran the upper 1/3 of it through my Cuttlebug using the Swiss Dots folder. Next I took a piece of vellum and cut it to 4 1/8" x 3". Then I used my Martha Stewart Lattice border punch on both sides of the vellum. Next I cut a strip of light beige card stock to 4" x 2". Then I stamped my sentiment in gold ink centered on the strip of light beige card stock. Then, I centered my card stock on the vellum and glued the vellum centered between the two embossed sides. Then I glued the whole card front to the center of my A2 card base.

Supplies:
  • stamp - All Night Media Say it with Stamps "with sympathy"
  • paper - The Paper Company, vellum - Paper Reflections
  • miscellaneous - Cuttlebug, Swiss Dots embossing folder, Birds and Swirls embossing folder, gold Versa Color ink, Martha Stewart Lattice Border Punch
Sadly, I am not overly excited about this card, I think this would have made a better Wedding/engagement card, but it's what I came up with. I also learned a new technique. What do you think? Have you made any sympathy cards you would like to share? If so please leave a link to yours in the comments.

Stay tuned for tomorrow's Fun-Filled Friday card. And Saturday I'll try to post a tutorial on what I learned using 2 embossing folders.

Happy Crafting,
Kimmy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Kimmy. I have a hard time with Sympathy cards. The simplicity of this card is perfect!! Oh, take a peaky at my site. Your pic is now up with the bio.

Far North said...

Love your tutorial! Great pictures and description make this very clear. TFS!

Far North said...

Oops the post above should have gone on your tutorial posting...sorry! But I also wanted to say I love the sympathy card. I am glad I am in that challenge too!