Wednesday, January 28, 2009

What's that Wednesday????

I have decided to start a new segment on my blog "What's that Wednesday?". Want to know how that works? Thinking of buying something but now sure if it's right for you? Just want to know the pros and cons to a product? Want to try a new technique, but not sure? Is there an easier way to do something? Well I am here to help. I know I have tried tons of different types of products in my many years of crafting. Some I have bought simply because they were on sale, or cheap. Other items I just had to have. I have been both very excited and disappointed my different products I have. Some items took some getting used to and now I love. I thought maybe I could help some of you out there save some money and time by sharing some of my product and technique reviews.

I am going to start this off with a favorite product of mine :

The Cuttlebug by Provo Craft

The Cuttlebug is basically a portable machine for die cutting and embossing. You have to purchase the embossing folders and dies separately. It folds up when not in use and has a pop up handle for easy transportation. When you open your Cuttlebug it has a suction feature the holds it in place on your table or counter top. I have only used the Cuttlebug embossing folders, but I know there are several other brands that are compatible, you just need to know the "recipe". I have used Cuttlebug, Sizzix, and Spellbinders dies without any problems. The nice thing is the crafting world has figured out ways to use this with so many other brands and items that it's so versatile. The Cuttlebug comes with 4 plates to put your materials between; 1 A plate, 2 B plates, and 1 C plate. The order of the plates, dies/embossing folder and your material being cut make up the "recipe". I have heard of several people having one of the plates crack after alot of use. I don't know how to prevent this, but the plates are pretty cheap to replace.

Here are a few of the recipes I frequently use :
(I wrote these to be placed face up in the order you read them)

To use with your Cuttlebug Embossing folders
A Plate
B Plate
Embossing folder (with paper in it)
B Plate

To use with Cuttlebug Die
A Plate
B Plate
paper
Cuttlebug Die
B Plate

To use with Spellbinder Nestabilities
A Plate
B Plate
paper
Nestabilities die
C plate

***NOTE : I like to see what I am cutting so I like to cut with my Nesties face up. I am also trying to do all of the "cutting" on my B plate - just my preference no special reason. The recipes can be placed in different order.***


Many other recipes can be found online. The internet is so full of information and tutorials. Check out You Tube for video tutorials - they are very helpful.

I will admit I have had times where this item sat on a shelf collecting dust, but lately it's right next to me. I also will honestly say this is not a product I would expect someone just starting out to purchase right away, but if you can afford it I highly recommend it. I was lucky enough to get mine for a birthday gift :)

Just a couple of money saving tips. If you are looking to buy a Cuttlebug remember Michaels and Joann's offer 40% off coupons almost every week on non-sale items. The Cuttlebug usually retails for about $79.99. For Spellbinders Nestabilities I suggest the http://www.ucutathome.com/ online store. You can sign up for the V.I.P. club and receive a 40% off coupon in your email monthly. Hobby Lobby also has weekly coupons, but I don't have one close enough to shop at frequently. You can always check store ads online, or look for sales at online stores. I always try to use a coupon to save some cash.

Please let me know if there is anything you would like to see reviewed or have questions about. If I don't have it or have never used it, I'll do some research for you - or if it's something on the more affordable side I'll pick one up and let you know what I think. If you have some tips or tricks you want to share please let me know I am always excited to learn something new. If you disagree with my reviews (or strongly agree) please share, someone may learn from something you have to say. Feel free to email me.

Next week I am going to share with you a product that also works with the Cuttlebug, I am very excited about this one.

**Remember these are my opinions on how things work for me, you might love something I don't - it just depends on your style of crafting. ***

Happy Crafting,
Kimmy

2 comments:

Jennifer E. said...

Wow! Nice job with your explanation!

Anonymous said...

Great review, Kimmy. I love my CB and use it all the time.