Thursday, May 1, 2008

GETTING HEALTHY PART 2

Keeping with my whole “getting healthy” kick let’s talk exercise. Many many years ago I was pretty fit. I decided I wanted to try kickboxing and fell in love with the sport. I put my heart and soul into it and felt great after every training. I taught a cardio/kickboxing class a couple times a week and loved every second of it! I had all the gear and spared whenever I could. It didn’t matter if I spared with boys or girls I loved the rush. It was during this time I learned how long a minute actually is. That may sound funny, but fighting it out in the ring for 2 mins feels like much longer. I wanted to start training for competitions, but had a falling out with my coach., and some medical issues come up I tried a couple other places, but they wouldn't let me get as involved so I quit. I tried training at home too without any luck. Now, 10 years later, I am 50 lbs heavier and extremely out of shape.

The worst part about the whole thing is not being able to do what I used to. I can’t jump rope for 10 minutes or hard core cardio for 30 minutes without stopping. So what do you do when you can’t do what you used to do? Boy that’s a confusing sentence! I am starting out slow, and trying to stretch after I work out to minimize soreness. My DH is very helpful too. He was a big swimmer in high school so he encourages me to get in the pool! I have some knee issues so it’s much easier on my knees than some other activities. The elliptical machines are a bit easier on the joints too. He also gets me to run a bit on the track – I mostly walk.

So tell me, do you work out? What kind of exercise do you do? Do you workout alone, with a partner or in a class? What do you do to stay motivated?

Health, happiness, and happy crafting,
Kimmy

No comments: